Health and Safety Operations Manager
Job ID: 2022/001_HSOM
Continuum Life Sciences is a dedicated immuno-oncology organisation set up with the aim of developing new therapies to treat cancer. There are now over 600 long-term cancer survivors in the Continuum Patient Cohort supporting our effort. Continuum will develop novel treatments for cancer by researching the immune cells and molecules that have enabled long-term cancer survivors to stay alive.
We have made considerable progress over the last couple of years in the identification of novel mechanisms behind long-term cancer survival working with a world-class team of academic experts in immuno-oncology.
The company is now embarking on the next phase of the development with the building of its own bespoke R&D facility in Oxfordshire, UK. To support our expanding activities, we are looking for the following enthusiastic new colleague to join our dynamic and focussed team.
Continuum is looking for a Health and Safety Operations Manager to join our Support Team.
As Health and Safety Operations Manager you will provide support to your team members by managing health and safety policies and procedures, managing biological safety, maintaining an efficient and effective laboratory environment and co-ordinating HTA licence activities and sample management.
Your role will include:
- Responsibility for the day-to-day management and operations of the CLS laboratory
- Be responsible for ensuring compliance with all statutory Health and Safety requirements within the laboratory to ensure a safe and secure working environment, carry out regular safety audits
- Preparation of SOPs, risk assessments, GMO procedures, Biological safety and COSHH documents
- Updating and maintaining laboratory documentation including the maintenance of an equipment inventory/asset register. Managing equipment service contracts, and liaising with engineers for equipment maintenance and repair where applicable
- Training of laboratory staff
- Carrying out safety inspections and audits
- Ensuring accidents, incidents and near misses are reported and investigated
- Updating and maintaining laboratory documentation including the maintenance of an equipment inventory/ asset register. Managing equipment service contracts, and liaising with engineers for equipment maintenance and repair where applicable
- Sample management and preparation – develop and implement systems for tracking laboratory samples, co-ordinate aspects of Human Tissue Authority licensable activities and contribute to management of human tissue samples for use in the laboratory
- Assist with the procurement of laboratory equipment and consumables
We are seeking an enthusiastic, team-oriented person, who is able to work independently, manage their own time and be proactive, with good communication skills and attention to detail. You will have a strong scientific background and relevant experience in academia or industry. Experience managing laboratories and HTA licence activities is desirable, as is a current health and safety qualification (preferably NEBOSH diploma or certificate).
Essential qualifications and experience
- Considerable experience working in a laboratory environment either in academia/ industry
- Demonstrable knowledge of current applicable legislation and regulations including but not limited to HSE, COSHH, GMO, biological safety and HTA
- Experience of drafting and implementing a range of documents including risk assessments, code of practice, COSHH and SOPs
- Familiarity with Microsoft programmes
- Excellent leadership and team working skills
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good organisation and administrative skills
Desirable qualifications and experience
- BSc or PhD in biology/ biochemistry
- A relevant health and safety qualification eg NEBOSH
- Experience in a biopharma environment
- Experience with managing and/or supporting teams
- Experience managing the servicing and repair of equipment
- English fluency (written and spoken)
- Company pension scheme
- Life Insurance & Critical Illness cover
- Private Medical Insurance including Dental & Optical cash back
- 25 days annual leave per year plus statutory holidays
- Regularly held social events
We care deeply about creating a diverse and inclusive team at Continuum. We strive to recruit the very best person for every role, regardless of gender, race, age, nationality, religion or beliefs and we strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds and identities to apply.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No recruitment agencies please.